2013年12月15日 星期日

[英文筆記] Dec week2


Found: Seven Siblings and a Mystery Solved

When I was a student at Baylor University in the late 2000’s, I was lucky to work at one of the campus libraries—the Baylor Collection of Political Materials—an archive that contains a treasure trove of old things and forgotten times. For three and a half years, I spent countless hours sifting through old letters, campaign memorabilia and of course, photographs. I’ve always been drawn to history, especially personal stories. During my time at the archive, I spent over a year cataloging the photos and letters that Penn Jones Jr., a newspaper editor and JFK researcher, sent to his wife during his deployment in World War II.
在西元兩千年年底,我還是個Bayler大學的學生的時候,我很幸運的在學校的圖書館工作,一個收藏很多政治物品的地方,這個檔案室包含很多珍貴的舊東西與被遺忘的時光。
我有三年半的時間,我花了無數的時間在篩選舊信件、學校內值得紀念的事物,當然包含照片。歷史很吸引我,特別是私人故事。在我在那間檔案室的時光裡,我花了超過一年的時間,分類Penn Jones Jr在二次世界大戰時,寄給他太太的照片、信件,他是依違新聞編輯者,同時也是位JFK研究者
*archive檔案室
*trove貴重物
*sifting篩選
*memorabilia值得紀念的事物
*be drawn to被...所吸引
*deployment調度


When I started working at National Geographic, I never imagined that my love of old photographs and family stories might be part of my job. In early March when my co-worker Web Barr came to me with an idea to start an archival Tumblr, I was more than ready to jump in and help.

當我剛開始在 National Geographic工作的時候,我從未想像過我可以從事與舊照片和家庭故事相關的工作,這是我的喜好所在。在三月初,當我的同事Web Barr與我一齊討論了一個關於建立一個有關檔案室的Tumblr想法時,我立刻迫不急待的開始一齊著手幫忙。
*archival檔案室的

To curate “Found” I search National Geographic’s internal archive for photos that strike me as remarkable or extraordinary, and sequence them to reveal a broad glimpse of different eras, moments and people from the past.
作為一個"Found"的助手,我發現國家地理雜誌的內部照片檔案室的不同凡響令我感到震驚。
並且其排列照片的方式透露出不同年代、時刻、與過去的人們留下的一個概述重點。
*curate牧師
*remarkable非凡的
*extraordinary非凡的
*glimpse一瞥
*era年代


Last month I posted an image from 1939 of seven siblings sitting on a fence in Quebec. Much to my surprise, I was contacted by Julia Caron, a CBC radio producer, who was intrigued by the image and wanted to know more. I didn’t have much information to share with her at the time, but a few days later I received an email from Ketsia Houde—the granddaughter of the blond boy second from the right. I immediately connected Caron and Houde, so they could talk more about the family in the photograph.
上個月我發布了一張1939年拍攝地點為魁北克的照片,照片中有7個兄弟姊妹坐在籬笆上。讓我驚訝的是,我曾經與Julia Caron聯絡過,他是一個CBC的電台節目企劃,也是一個對照片著迷且希望從照片中獲得更多的人。我在當時並未有許多資訊可以與他分享,但在幾天之後,我接到一封來自Ketsia Houde的電子郵件。Ketsia Houde是照片中從右邊數來第二個金頭髮的男孩。我立刻聯絡了Caron與Houde,已讓他們可以告訴我更多這張照片中有關這個家族的故事。
*intrigued著迷
*blond金髮的
*second from the right.從右邊數來第二個

After talking with Houde, Caron produced a detail-rich radio piece for the CBC profiling the rural area of Quebec that was visited by photographer Howell Walker in 1938, for a May 1939 magazine story called “Gentle Folk Settle Stern Saguenay.”
在與Houde聊過之後,Caron便開始著手為CBC進行一則詳實的電台報導,側寫關於魁北克農村地區的故事。魁北克農村地區正是攝影家Howell Walker在1938年為了1939年刊於某雜誌的故事“Gentle Folk Settle Stern Saguenay.”所拍攝這張照片的地點。
*detail-rich詳實的
*piece一則(報導、消息)
*profile側影,側寫
*rural鄉村的(adj.)


It brings me joy to experience how the digital era has enabled us to revive history and bring both local and global communities together. Personal narratives endure, even in our rapidly changing society.
這件事成為我一個快樂經歷,讓我了解數位時有能力去喚醒過去的歷史,並能夠造成地區與全球的交流。甚至是在這個快速流動的社會裡,個人的故事依然能夠繼續被保存。
*revive復甦
*narratives故事
*enduret持續

✈文章來源:http://proof.nationalgeographic.com/2013/12/10/found-seven-siblings-and-a-mystery-solved/

沒有留言:

張貼留言

20200826 [日記] 前後前後前前後後

人生也需要管理 by工作上的前輩 問題不管怎樣一定會解決,只是是好的解法還是壞的解法 by工作上的廠商 以上是最近常常徘徊在心頭的小標語。 1. 一直覺得業務是沒有專業能力才會做的職業,但最近真的打從心底的小小改觀。 2. 工作上還是很多讓人不耐煩的事情,但越來越能面對它處理它放...